Thursday, December 2, 2010

I'm going to Haiti

Yes, it's true I'm going to one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere that has had disaster after disaster. Its a very exciting journey that I'm about to embark upon. Many have asked what I'm going to do there. Instead of typing this over and over I thought I'd put it here and refer everyone here who cared. So here's the story. In September I saw a posting on the lds singles email listserv that said Nanny wanted in Haiti. It was an advertisement for a family who was moving there to work on the U.S. embassy compound. They both work for the U.S. embassy. He is something dealing with protection and she is a nurse. So, I have my safety and my health covered right there which is most peoples concerns with me going there. I'm also going to be living in a place with Americans on the compound and I will have safe water and food. Granted I will still have to be very careful and there are still a lot of precautions I will and have already had to take. I will work Monday through Friday for them. I will be then able to go and do humanitarian service on Saturdays and go to church on Sundays. I'm nervous a little bit, but mostly excited. Ever since I have been asked and been thinking about doing this everything has fallen into place so amazingly. I just feel like Heavenly Father is truly guiding me there for one reason or another. I will have so many amazing opportunities to help others and really forget about myself, which I feel at this time in my life is really important. I have been pretty self involved for the past while. It's time I got on another mission which is basically what Ill be doing. I leave in January and will return in July in time to figure out the next step in my life of finding a real job with benefits. I am very excited for this adventure and I hope that all of you will keep me posted in your life and write me occasionally:) I would love to hear from you all. I will also be updating my blog more regularly and be posting pictures of the conditions down there. I know its going to be shocking and really life changing. I can't wait! Love you all!

5 comments:

Kim and Zak said...

Oh wow! That is huge news! I am looking forward to seeing pictures and reading all about your journey! I miss you! Love you! Kim :)

nimbus said...

What an experience. But be careful.

Jason and Dana said...

It'll be an amazing experience Abby!! Something that will stay with you forever. I'm so excited for you.

Shauna said...

What?! Crazy! But so exciting! I'm sure you will have a lot of fun :)

rlpetersen said...

Wow! Too cool! Keep us posted!!