Monday, January 3, 2011

Day One Haiti

I spent two days on an airplane and in airports to get here, but I finally made it. It was a very easy and smooth flight and arrival.  As I came down the escalator off the plane The Lasons and a Haitain American Embassy Worker greeted me. I got in a car and the man took my passport and papers and went through immigration for me and picked up my bags for me. We then got in another car where it was just me and the family I'm going to be with for the next 6 months. As we exited the airport I can't really explain what I saw. I saw people everywhere. People begging for money or working. I saw extreme poverty like i have never seen. It all seems unreal. I can't believe how the people here live and my heart really goes out to them. On our drive to the house and Embassy we had several people begging at our cars including a little child. It really broke my heart. I feel so blessed already and so humbled by this experience and seeing these things. I hope to be able to do some good here and help some people. Its pretty overwhelming to see the need they have here. I am interested to go back out tomorrow and see more. I live in a nice home with water and food. The family Im going to be working with are very nice and very accomodating. I am looking forward to seeing what lies ahead for me here. It will be an experience of a lifetime for sure!

2 comments:

Clayton & Charish Hubbard said...

keep us updated!! it is so awesome you are doing this!

Kim and Zak said...

Please be safe, safe, safe! I can't believe you're in Haiti...that's just crazy! Zak wanted me to let you know that he's going to be really mad if he has to fly to Haiti to get you out of trouble! haha :) Seriously though, be careful, and do your thing, girl! You are an inspiration, and I know that you will impact someone's life for the better (lots of people, actually!) just like you did mine. Stay in touch! Miss and love you! Love, Kim :)