Thursday, August 25, 2011

Life Goes On

Well, I have been home from Haiti for about a month now. It is crazy how some things in life can seem like a dream. When I got home and knew that I was home in the United States for good I felt like I never really lived in Haiti. This makes me kind of sad, because it was such a great experience in my life. I just hope like many things although you leave the situation that the lessons learned will remain with me throughout my life. Its hard to put thought to paper about my Haiti experience over the last 6 months. I remember when I first entered Haiti I was in complete shock. I couldn't believe that people were living in these conditions. Everyone kept saying that i would get used to it, I thought how could anyone ever get used to this. I mean there are people everywhere living on the streets amongst the garbage, rubble, and fallen buildings. I was heartbroken every day for these people. I couldn't stop thinking about what I could do to help everyone there. I was seeing things that I couldn't have even thought up if i wanted to. Each day i saw something that would shock me....Well, after a few months I started to get a little bit more accustomed to the region, to the country, and the culture. However, I can honestly say that it never got easy to see such hardship and sadness. Every day I would see so many downtrodden people.  On the flip side I was constantly amazed at how happy so many seemed. I thought about how would I live my life if I was from this country? I would like to think that I would try to remain positive and be a happy person. If you can't change your surroundings you have to change your attitude. That was one thing about the people I lived around, all the Americans, they chose to have a bad attitude and see only the bad in the country. I for one saw a lot of good. That is the wonderful opportunity that I had of actually living there instead of just going for a week or two. I got to really see the country and get to know the people. I got to go inside their homes and meet their familes.I got to see the "raw" side of their lives and how they live. First off I can say, yes they do not have a lot! Yes in Material things they are few, but their character and the people they are is like finding a rare diamond. The wonderful people I had the opportunity to meet have blessed my life so much. To see how someone can live in such humble conditions, but they know whats really important in life. Now, as I continue to finish this post I have been home for about 2.5 months. Its crazy. And its amazing how in that short amount of time how quickly you can forget those lessons of whats really important in life. Especially when you have been looking for work for 2.5 month and you cant find anything that "pays" enough. I think of all these people in Haiti who haven't worked for years and have families. I really don't understand how they survive. Because like I have a credit card I can live for awhile on that:) But they don't have that. It really baffles me. I'm not sure how they keep living, especially when they have families. Anyway, I am blessed and I'm grateful for all the help and support I have around me that even though I don't have a job or a lot of money right now I have a wonderful support around me who help me get through these tough times. I miss and love Haiti and I look forward to going back some day. I wrote a blog post for a friends of a friends blog....you can check it out here.....anecdotesofayiti.blogspot.com



 My Last Sunday..I will miss the love of these sweet children


 Some of the Boys from Church
 In the Tap Tap

 This little girl is just precious!
Good people, my friend who drove me to the airport and from church:)

1 comment:

Tara said...

All I have to say is, your a wonderful person!