Friday, January 7, 2011

Did we just hit a motocyclist?

Oh my goodness today we actually hit a person actually probably a few. Oh and we backed up into a motorcyclist. As I am sitting reflecting on my experience today I just want to laugh. Its so unreal. So, this morning we left around 6:30 or 6:50 to take Brady the 3 year old I nanny to his preschool to check it out for Monday. We got there around 8 and apparently the traffic will be worse on Monday because school starts. Really though the school is not that far, its just the traffic and people that make it take so long. We drove through many tent villages and much poverty. Today was by far the worst I've seen this week. I just look out the window the whole time examining people and their living conditions and just trying to figure out, what is going on in their head, what are they feeling? Well my heart truly goes out to the people. We did see some super cute kids on the way all done up with their hair and cute clothes on ready for school. I don't really know where they go to school, but Im interested to find out. I would love to visit a school and maybe help out or something. Well, as we drove around I took some pictures today but honestly they do not do this place justice, it especially doesn't show the driving conditions and how scary they are. So, to give a little more detail for today as we drove along our driver was gettigng so close to other cars and people it was scary..well we were a little nervous the whole time. Many times Ann in the front seat would brace herself. Well, we turned down one road and some of the UN people were paving a road so we had to turn around. Then, we went down another one and people had made a market in the middle of the road. So, basically our driver decided he would back up instead of turn around and well he ran right into a motorcyclist. It was the scariest thing yet because some guys started banging on the car and were like hey man what are you doing, except in Creole or French, but the idea was expressed. Apparently if you hit someone and your not honking then thats bad, but if you are honking and you hit someone its their own fault. Well, nothing happened we just kept driving and that was that. No one was hurt or anything but its just a funny way, In America I would of jumped out of my car to make sure everyone was ok, but not here. So, we finally made it to the school. It is an American run school and it was pretty nice. It looks like any other preschool you'd see in the states, besides the gates and men with guns blocking the gates. Other than that completley normal, oh yeah and the fact that right before you enter is dirt roads with tent homes and shacks aligning it. I really admire the family I work for. They are so bold and brave and are really giving Brady a good opportunity. Granted its all up in the air, but Brady seems very excited to be out with other Haitain kids his age. He likes the interaction with other kids and what kid doesn't. So, it will all be up in the air. All in all this is quite the experience and I'm loving it.
Here are the pictures I took today out the car window:) Hence the Reflection.


A political sign, the Election results are being announced soon! More Riots are Expected
 


A house is nestled back there.
 


Just on the Side of the Street
 

Just more of Haiti Regular Sites

A pile of Rubble on the side of the road

Garbage just on teh side of the road close to markets and everything!

A local Market

People on their way

Anyone need a shirt, because you can find one on the streets of Haiti


 

2 comments:

Kim and Zak said...

Oh my goodness, Abby! That's crazy that the driver hit a motorcyclist! Crazy! Is it bad of me to say that sometimes I wish we could play bumper cars on the main roads here in the States?!?! hehe :) Just sayin'... :) What an incredible experience you're going through. I look forward to reading everyday what you've experienced. How amazing, sad, yet exciting! Just be safe! Miss and love you! Love, Kim :) P.S. I never fully understood how you found a nanny job in Haiti, anyway....Send me an e-mail about it! haha :) No, really... :)

Logan and Lisa said...

Wow, that is soo crazy. Your so brave to take jobs so far away, but it's neat that your going to be able to have these experiences. I am interested to see more pictures.