Thursday, January 6, 2011

Is this Real Life?

I can't seem to wrap my mind around where I actually am right now. I am in one of the poorest countries in the world. It is so decieving though. I was sitting on our porch last night and as I looked out I just saw beautiful mountains and the houses on the mountains looked nice from afar. However, when we drive out of our neighborhood everytime I'm reminded of where I am. The instant you drive out of my neighborhood you are crowded with people, people who have nothing. I'm very interested to know what the people are doing. Some seem like they really have important things they are working on, some are just hanging out trying to sell their crops or drinks, and some are trying to build bikes or something else out of old tires that were just basically lying in the streets. I have noticed though, I haven't seen to many that look depressed or to sad to go on. They seem to get up and go to work. It's crazy to see the buildings destroyed by the earthquake. It seems like where I am actually could have been quite a nice place to be before the Earthquake. I can't quite think of how people make it here. I don't know how money functions or works in this area. How do people survive? Its been very interesting for me to see all this, but for some reason it has still not struck me as real. I still feel like I am living a dream or I'm just watching a sad movie. I want to get out and work with the people, all the Haitains I've met so far are very kind people. Granted they work for the Embassy so they have to treat us pretty well, it's part of their job. However, I do get a good sense from these people. I can't wait to get out and work among them. I'm still trying to work out the details of finding places to volunteer and a place to go to church. Our driver is a member of the church and has been for 11 years. He was a misionary in Haiti. However, the area he goes to church is an area we are not allowed to go, so I can't go with him. There is a younger American girl who goes to church around here but she is going on a cruise soon so she will be gone the next two Sundays. I want to get to church soon though so I can really get a sense of the people here and what their lives are like and what me as a young 25 year old girl can do for them.
The Local "taxis" These are called Tap Taps and it's amazing how many people get in them. I often think some are gonna fall out. I was taking these pics from my car, and felt kind of bad taking pictures of the people as I drive by.

This is the area right outside our neighborhood, it's kind of  hard to really get the gist of it, but as you see there are so many people out and about on the streets.

And this my friends is the nicest building in all of Haiti, or at least seems that way so far. This is the Embassy for the United States of America. See that pool? Thats where most of my time will be spent I assume. I feel pretty guilty living the lap of luxury when just outside of the Embassy gates there are starving or very poor people all around.

1 comment:

Kim and Zak said...

Wow! What a post! It is sad to think that people live in those conditions, isn't it? It definitely makes you realize how blessed we are here in America. Keep updating us on your blog. I look forward to reading it everyday, knowing where you are and that you're safe! I'm praying for you everyday! Love and miss you! Love, Kim :)