Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Very Blessed Day!

Well my day started by heading over to a woman's house I had never met but had just heard about through several people who had been here on mission trips. She was very nice and I got to run around Haiti with her today. She has lived here since 2002. She has started up this foundation and is just doing wonderful things here. She has three Haitian kids living with her right now and they came along with us. They have to. Then also my friend from church came as well. So, I have been told over and over from my family they think it's crazy when American's ride in the back of trucks here. I've always agreed because it does seem crazy. Well today I got the whole experience. I rode in the back of a truck. It was freeing actually. I then heaven forbid went out amongst the people to a market. It was crazy. I didn't feel nervous but that could of been because I had my friend Frigens right by my side the whole time leading me around. It was sad to me, because at one point he did say to me. "This is the reality of my country." I thought yes yes it is, people everywhere and we are standing on garbage with big trucks right by where we are buying food. We were buying food for one of the orphanages we were going to go to. It was great to get out but it's definitley not something that is recommended for doing often. As Rebecca said, "This is where trust in God comes in, I am doing his work so I figure he will protect me." I believe that. She is doing so many good things and so I do think God must be protecting her as he was protecting me today. I didn't feel in danger.
Margaret buying the Vegetables
Me and the Boys in the Back of the Truck. They were sooo sweet!

I was standing amongst all of this. Crazy eh?


 From the Market we headed to what Rebecca called the Street Kids home. It is basically probably like 40-45 kids who don't have a place to be. They were literally on the street. So, one of the older street boys runs the house and they all just help eachother out. It was so humblingto be there. I walked in and all the children just came up to all of us. They were so happy to see us and just to be with us. Many came up and hugged me. One little boy asked me to give him a kiss. Other tiny kids just held their hands up to be held. So, I did all of it. I loved being amongst them. We also brought with us food and activities. We brought some books to practice their writing and some math worksheets and some crayons and paper for the younger kids. It was so rewarding just being there. I feel so much more blessed to have been there than they were blessed for me being there. Of course every single little kid wanted their picture taken and of course I appeased them. I won't post all of them. I don't remember hardly any of their names either. But, I met so many. Im sure as I go back I will remember more. 




 
From the Moment I arrived he wanted me to take a photo of him!

She kept grabbing my leg so i would hold her

I held him for a long time. He was very cute!

 He was just so Cute!

They were showing me their good writing skills!
Showing off their Awesome Writing and Coloring Skills!

Hard at work!

I only wish we could get so excited over being educated and practicing our letters! Oh their simple joys!



After the streets kids visit, we headed over to another orphanage. It was more out of the busyness. We delivered some food and some goody bags for the kids. Ok so in these little bags were like a granola bar, a pad of paper, a crayon, a sucker, and a blow toy from like new years and a little plastic watch. I've never seen kids so excited! It was adorable. They all wanted me to help them put their watches on or what not. I then found the cutest boys and they just crowded me and had me draw things and they especially loved when I would write their names. I also sang some songs with them. There were two boys who stole my heart. One was Wesley and the other was Uno. At one point Wesley said are you my sister? I said of course I am. Then Uno he was just funny, he kept teasing me and he would dance and sing with me. It was adorable.As I looked deep into his eyes I knew him. I knew he was a loved child of God and I was so happy to spend some time with him and feel of his love and of his sweetness.
 The one to the left of me is Wesley, he was just sweet. Then uno is to the right of me with his personality just shining through!
 Me and Wesley-Seriously what a sweetie!
These boys and I just had the greatest time!
 My friend Frigens with some of the girls.
 Some of the Girls showing off their goody Bags!
This little boy was so cute too, I can't remember his name though!

Overall, today was such a good experience and Im so glad I was able to go. As we were done and driving home I was asked how I liked it. I said I loved it. Rebecca said I can be as involved as Id like. She even said I could teach a little class if I want. I told her I would love to. So, I will think on that. I also told her it was hard for me to see all these precious little children without families and living in such harsh conditions. She agreed but she made a good point. She said but its also good because they are so happy and it's true. I didn't see any kids who weren't smiling and that didn't seem happy. I guess its all perspective. I always knew I took a lot for granted, but being here has just made me realize even more so how much I have taken for granted in my life and still do everyday. However, I'm so grateful for the experience of being here and being humbled! I'm grateful for the love and the hugs of these adorable little children of God who in their humble circumstances still love and care for others. What a lesson I can learn from them.

3 comments:

Brooklyn Lamb said...

Abby!! I'm so happy for you. It looks like you are having an unforgettable life changing experience. These children are addorable and remind me so much of the beautiful Gibson children.
I want to help out with your cause, but am not in the position at this time, that is, to help financially. LEt me know of any other ways I can help spread awareness for your cause.
I sure love ya and have enjoyed reading your blog! Keep posting! Love ya! Brooklyn

Kim and Zak said...

Hey, Abby! I love this post! The children are adorable, and they do look incredibly happy. I'm sure you made their day! :) I'm glad to see you are making a difference (I knew you would!), and being safe, too. Love you and miss you! P.S. Sorry I haven't commented the last few posts. We've been sick! :( I got a stomach virus, then Reagan, now Zak. Yuck. I've finally turned a corner (not quite over it, but almost), and Reagan should be getting better tonight (if she followed the same path I did). Zak, well, he has a few days to go! Poor guy. :( Love you, Abby!

nimbus said...

Wow, what an experience you are having. We walked on three-four feet of garbage on the roads in Phnom Penh, Cambodia several years ago, so I know what you are talking about. I just watched the movie "Like Dandelion Dust" which is about adoption and legal fights between birth and adoptive parents and part of the story is in Haiti. One of the producers had just completed the adoption of an orphan there when the earthquake hit. Please be safe. Ron Larsen (so you know who Nimbus is)