Monday, January 17, 2011

The Weekend

The Weekend was great. On Friday I again got to get out and it was a good time. So, since I’m white everyone here stares at me. As we were driving through crowds of people many people look at me so I just smile. Sometimes I get a wave, today I got a thumbs up. The greatest is when I see little kids and I catch their eye. As I dropped of one of the kids at preschool today all the little Haitian kids were like you look pretty and they were so intrigued by me. It was very sweet. As we were driving through the craziness I made eye contact with one little boy and I smiled and waved at him. He got the biggest smile on his face and then kept looking back at me as he walked away. Then, I saw a little baby girl in a mommas arms. The mom saw me looking and smiling at them so she grabbed the little girl and told her to smile and wave at me. The baby did and it was so cute. On Friday I also realized it’s finally hitting me where I am. I got emotional for the first time and realized this is real. This is really how people live. I saw this younger girl who had lost a leg and it just broke my heart. I wondered if it could have been helped or prevented if she were living in America and had better medical care.  We are so blessed. I was thinking to about the traffic here and trying to parallel it to life. As I did so I thought about the commandments of God. Many people would say that they are restrictive and we aren’t allowed to do things. However, as I’ve always known the commandments of God are strictly a safety net for us. As I sat in the traffic and craziness of the driving in Haiti I thought about how there are so many laws and rules in America with driving and how grateful I really am for them, since they protect us. I feel like every day we are risking our lives driving in this place. The driver was even asking me about laws in America. He was like wow we are a far way off from America, Haitians just do whatever they want. Later on Friday we made the trek to the grocery store which is only about 6 miles away but can take up to an hour to get there. So, it’s quite the process. Over the weekend we again went to the beach this time with better luck and we stayed the night. It was weird how scared I felt sleeping there since I’m used to having a large fence around the house with a security guard. However, I made it through the night and didn’t get eaten by the lizard. When I arrived I saw a lizard crawling around my room. We caught it so I felt at ease. However right before going to bed I saw another one crawling on the wall. So, needless to say I woke up at least every hour to check for lizards on me. The beach was beautiful and I loved being there. As we were there on Saturday Ann and I were sitting and talking about marriage because there was a Haitian Bridal party taking pictures. Well, about 5 of these guys came over to us and tried talking to us. I think they just wanted to practice their English. But one of them came up to me and was like Hello, I’m happy to see you. It was so awkward since they all just stood around us staring at us. So, I just started laughing. One of them was like why are you laughing. I was like I laugh at everything I can’t help it. So, I felt bad but it was just funny. Ann was like there you go Abby you can marry him. So, all in all it was another great weekend in Haiti and a relatively safe one;) These are pictures from driving on Friday.
The Crazy Traffic

Lots of People in the Streets

More traffic and that car in front of us is a taxi, I wouldn't wanna ride in that thing!
The road
Along the Road next to a tent village

A tent City

More Haiti traffic, a steady stream of cars.

Rubble is everywhere in this place

The cracks I believe are from the earthquake

A local selling clothes on the street





Kaliko Beach

I just loved seeing this for some reason

Is this seriously the same Country I was in Yesterday?

1 comment:

Kim and Zak said...

Unreal! It is quite crazy to see the difference of your beach location compared to just outside the beach. Crazy! Many people may complain about the driving laws we have in America, but you're right, they're there for a reason - to keep us safe. Can you imagine if we all drove like they do there in Haiti? I mean, don't get me wrong, sometimes I WANT to drive like that (you know, ram someone in the back end because they cut me off! haha :)), but two wrongs don't make a right....but it'd sure feel good (although not to my car!)! haha :) Anywho, I'm glad you had a safe weekend! I miss you, and keep on bloggin'! :)