Friday, January 21, 2011

Exhausting

Ok so I thought traffic was bad in DC, but oh my goodness it doesnt compare to the traffic here. Plus the traffic here makes absolutley no sense. I don't understand where all the people are going or coming from. I don't get how money or jobs work here. The other thing thats exhausting is that there is no traffic laws. I mean litterally I was in the worst traffic I have ever been in. We were late picking up the youngn from school. Even at that we were passing lines of trafffic and driving on the sidewalks. It's crazy right? I was gripping on for my life the whole time. Ok, so we left around 1 and we got home around 5. Keep in mind this is like at the most a 20 mile journey. This is going through dirt roads and tons of people. It was a little scary yesterday because there were just people everywhere and cars locked us in. I just kept thinking to myself what if something happened right now. What if someone came and wanted money and got upset at me and broke my window or something. I could do absolutley nothing about it. Thankfully I have a Haitian man driving me around. The sad thing is I was just thinking I could drive around and then craziness like yesterday told me No Way! For example they shut down one side of the road. At one point of our travel we have to make a U turn to get on the street we need. Well the police would not let us make that turn so we had to go a long way around. Another reason I could never drive here. If something like that happened to me and I was by myself see ya later. I'd be so lost and well things like that happen quite often enough here. Ok, so then we decided to go another way home to try and avoid traffic and it was even more horrific. So it took 2 hours about to get home. On the way home the little man had to use the bathroom. I thought about just letting him go in his pants but that seemed cruel. So, I asked the driver to pull over. Of course he pulled over into a super sketch place. So me and this little white children run into like a cement store to go to the bathroom. It was horrible. I've never seen something so terrible in my life. You know super sketchy bathrooms in America wouldn't compare to this. So, even the little boy was like this is yucky Abby. I was like I know I know just hurry and lets get out of here. So, we hurried, said Merci and ran. Ok, so thats it for my ranting and raving about the traffic. But it was really frustrating to me mostly because I just feel so bad that these people don't even know how different their lives could be with a little guidance. It also overwhelms me because I want to give and help but I feel so helpless I don't even speak their language. I don't even know where to begin to think to help. So, I feel a bit sad about that. Otherwise some cute little things that happened are of course the continued waves and smiles at random kids or adults. I literally feel like a celebrity here. Im still not getting used to little kids begging at my window. It breaks my heart everytime. At school the other day I was walking around with the little girl while we were waiting for the little man. These little Haitian kids came up to us, well surrounded us and looked at us, examined us. Then the balsiest one of the group said "You and your baby are white, and we are brown." I was like yep you are right. But guess what we are all the same or something like that. Then, as I was dropping off the other day an older little girl maybe like 7 or 8 came up to me and randomly gave me a hug. It was sweet. Im reading this book right now about human trafficking in Cambodia and one lady who escaped and now helps other girls escape the brothels and harsh treatment. It made me sad because Im sure similair things happen here. I am glad I know that all the wrongs will be righted and all those who have suffered will be compensated. I am truly blessed and I am truly humbled to be here. It's definitley far from my previous life but honestly I don't miss it much, I just feel so lucky to be here and experience and see all this even though it is difficult to see at times. I hope each of you will realize how blessed we all are just to live where we live and to know what we know and mostly how lucky we are to be educated individuals.

1 comment:

Kim and Zak said...

That's incredible, Abby. I don't see how each new experience you have there doesn't humble you more and more (and the readers of your blog, too!). What a sad, yet remarkable, journey you are on. Life is precious, and it's about the people - not the things. Stay safe! Love ya! Love, Kim :)