Wednesday, January 12, 2011

One Year Anniversary of the Earthquake

Today marks the one year since the earthquake. So, today was a national holiday for the Haitain people. They call it a day of mourning. It is pretty crazy the damage that was done by this earthquake. On the road we travel everyday to the embassy and back there is a large building that recieved substantial damage. As I was driving in the car the other day I also saw many structures that had been ruined from the earthquake. However, as I've read some articles from the states about this place they are super dramatic from what I can tell. Yes, the people here have been through a lot and yes there is much poverty and yes its unbelievable. However, the media dramatizes everything. Today seemed like a fairly normal day but I am not intimitley involved with any of the Haitains who were directly affected by the Earthquake. I will ask our driver sometime soon about how it affected his family. It is hard not speaking the language because the other day I was in a car with a very nice driver and I was with him for like 3 hours and we couldn't speak. I tried to speak to him in English but he spoke very little. So, needless to say I don't speak French or Kreole so I was no help to him either. I need to figure out how I can really start learning the language. Anyone have any suggestions or know of some relatively cheap language program out there? Anyway, I am still getting adjusted and havent made all the contacts I need to really get involved. The one lady who I have had contact with is in the States and I don't know when shell be back. Hopefully soon. Anyway, life in Haiti is still going well for me. We spent a few hours at the pool today and had a BBQ at a neighbors house with many of the other Americans here. Well thats it for today hopefully Ill have more adventures and more excitment for you all in the next few days;)

1 comment:

Kim and Zak said...

It is very sad to see all of the damage that Haiti received because of the earthquake. I read an interesting article in People magazine the other day about a family in Haiti who had been separated because of one of their sick children. They were able to be reunited, but it wasn't easy. It was a sad, yet happy, story. I don't think one can ever imagine how they must feel living the day-to-day lives that they do. It's sad, really. It also makes you much more appreciative and grateful for the home you have, the family and friends you have, and so on, ya know? Anyway, stay safe, and keep blogging! :) Love ya! :)