Sunday, January 23, 2011

Feels Like Home

Finally! I made it to church today and it was a beautiful experience! I was a little nervous going in, I don't speak their language and I felt ignorant, like here I am in their country and I want them to speak in English. Well fortunatley I went with another girl and she speaks French. The services were in Creole but they mostly all speak French and they read in French and sing the hymns in French. So, she can communicate with them. So, she introduced me to the Relief Society President. I made her apologize for me for not knowing the language. She was like maybe you will learn. I said I hope so. I really do hope to learn some French or Creole. It seems Creole would be more beneficial to me here, but French is more widely used. Anyway, Relief Society was great. I couldn't understand a single thing, but I could feel the spirit and I could feel of her love and passion for the gospel and it made me excited. Then, I was taken to the Singles Sunday school class where there were about 20 of them. It was good though because two of the boys spoke to me in English and one sat by me and translated for me. I mean not everything but enough so that I could know what was being talked about. I was so grateful to him, an answer to my prayers. He just kinda took the initiative. I am sure he will become a very good friend to me. I will be friends with anyone who will speak English to me and be kind to me. It was exciting to see the excitement and the level of love by body movements in my Sunday School teacher. He seemed very enthusiastic about the Subject of Christ's birth and I'm sure if I understood I would have been very impressed by his teaching. The class was laughing and commenting, while I sat in the corner just amazed and probably looked like a deer in headlights. Oh, so church started at 7 am and the generator was not on. The city power here is so wishy washy. It just turns on and off all the time. So, the city power wasn't on and then the generator wasn't working. So, we sat in the dark. But the windows brought in light so it was all good. But, it kicked on during Sunday School which meant fans. I was so happy because of course I was so hot. Well, the girls were cold, so they turned it off. I was like your kidding me right? How could they not be hot? I guess they are just used to it. Ok, so after sunday school we went to Sacrament. It was good, the music was beautiful. They have a piano but they don't use it. So, they just sang acapela the whole time and it was fine. It sounded great. I also had a super cute kid sitting in front of me so I just smiled at him the whole time. Then, I got to talk to my new friend Frigens afterwards and they have institute on Saturday I will try to attend even though I won't understand. Then, I think I might ask him to give me lessons in Creole and I will pay him. I need to do something. Overall, it was just such a beautiful time and I thoroughly enjoyed being there. I loved the spirit I felt and I loved being among these wonderful saints. The gospel is so true and I could see it reflected in them. I felt right at home and I was glad to finally be home. I found peace in knowing that these people although we came from different countries and backgrounds understood me, even maybe moreso than the family I live with. They understand our divine destiny and who we really are and that we are truly brothers and sisters. they know of the example of our savior and that he loved and we must love to. I am so grateful for Jesus Christ and that the true gospel and his true character and his mission is known to us in these latter days.  I hope that I can become involved and I know I will have many great experiences ahead for me.
"I know that he lovethe his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things" 1 Nephi 11:17
Christ is Charity and I am grateful for the Christlike Love shown towards me today!

1 comment:

Kim and Zak said...

That's wonderful, Abby! Thanks for sharing! :) I bet you'll pick-up on the French and/or Creole language pretty quick...if you want to communicate with them, anyway! haha :) You can do it; I know it! :) Love you!