Thursday, January 13, 2011

Missionary Opportunity

Today was a good day. The kids were great and I rode with a great driver today when I went to the school to get one of the kids. The driver was very nice and spoke English well.  He asked me if I spoke French I of course don't. So, he said he could help me. So, he started giving me little lessons. Things like how to say hello and how to respond when someone asks how are you. He was also telling me more about the Tap Taps, because I was wondering how do they really know where each one is going because it's crazy. He is taking me tomorrow and will try to get pictures of the traffic and the Tap Taps.  I asked him about the day of mourning yesterday and if he had lost anyone. He told me how he lost his 7 year old niece. He said a wall fell on her. It is very sad. We drove by a tent city so I asked him about them. He asked if I had visited one and I said I hadn't. He was like you should I told him yeah I'd love to but I can't really just go by myself I kinda stand out ya know. He lived in one for a while he said but now he has a home with a tin roof. He was so grateful for that. He showed me a picture of his little 1.5 year old son Cliff. He was cute I was happy for him that he had somewhere to live with his family. He also lives with his sister who's daughter was lost in the Earthquake. As we talked about all different things I told him I was mostly exctied to get to church and thought it would help me pick up the language a bit. So, naturally he asked me which church I went to. I told him. I asked him and he goes to a protestant church. He said that he had heard of the "Mormons" before and would like to go sometime. I told him when I found out where one was then I would let him know. He said if he liked it he would stay. I thought that was a good idea naturally:) I explained to him about the Book of Mormon and how I had ran into a young man the other day with the Livre De Mormon. He was just very nice and it was so great to talk to him about Haiti and how humble the people are and how it was so nice for me to be here to really appreciate what we have in America. I said we have so much of everything there. He agreed, haha. It was interesting I am reading "The Miracle of Forgiveness" right now and Brigham Young was quoted to say "this people will stand mobbing, robbing, poverty, and all manner of persecution and be true. But my greatest fewar is that they cannot stand wealth. Latter Day Saints who turn their full attention to money making soon become cold in their feelings toward the ordinaces of the house of God." This has such a more profound meaning to me.  We in the United States think we are so much better off than the impoverished of the world. But, are we really? I wonder how much more humble and God loving we would be if we had a little less in our lives. I wonder how much more we would appreciate the small little things. I wonder how much more we would desire to serve our fellowmen instead of always thinking selfishly of ourselves. It's just a thought I had when I read that quote. I hope that I take away from this experience that material possessions are not important in the whole scheme of things and maybe I'd be a lot better off if I lived a little more humbly. Hard to do, but a good thing to learn and hopefully apply. So, anyway it was a good day with a reflection of how difficult these peoples lives may be but I how they will be praised and honored if they are good people in the heavens after this small period of time on Earth.

3 comments:

Kim and Zak said...

Love this post, Abby! Thanks for sharing! And, as always, keep blogging and be safe! Love ya! :) Kim :)

Cerina J. said...

Everyday and every post I'm in awe of you for a new reason. I'm loving your blog and living vicariously through you!! I can't wait to visit!

Kristine said...

Abby, what an amazing experience you are having!! It's so crazy. Good thoughts in your post though. When I was in Bolivia this summer they made me think about what is poverty and are we impoverished in some ways that they are not? I definitely think so. Love reading your experiences. Best of luck, be safe!!